When I first installed the Kindle application on my PC, I couldn't figure out how to get my Kindle format books that weren't purchased from Amazon into the software. There isn't anything in the menus or the help files that explains the process.
It actually is very easy.
- Install the Kindle App.
- Find the book you want to open (these typically have a ".mobi" extension)
- Double-click the book and it will open automatically in the Kindle app and as long as you don't move it, the Kindle App will keep it in the library.
If that doesn't work:
- Log in to your Amazon account and go to the Manage Kindle section.
- Find the Kindle email address for your Kindle and write it down.
- At the bottom of the screen make sure that your email address is listed as an authorized sender.
- Email the file as an attachment from your email account to the Kindle email address.
- After a few minutes open the Kindle app and the book should be there.